Saturday, March 13, 2010

Trip to Belize

I went to Belize on the GCP trip. Though there were meetings, emails, and literature, I still didn't know exactly what to expect. The unexpected is scary. The group I went with were a great group. We came together not knowing each other, but as time went on, we became close. I consider them my brothers and sisters - except we all get along.

I consider my self a global citizen because of my experiences. Sure, we did a lot of fun stuff, and saw a beautiful country, but we had a home family we stayed with in the Mayan village. That experience really opened my eyes and mind. My family had 9 children, a mother, father, 3 of their children. All of these people lived in one house that consists of 3 rooms. I have never seen poverty, let alone lived in it. These people cooked for us, and any food left over went to the chickens and roosters and dog and cat. This family shares one room to sleep in - everyone is sleeping on the floor, on mattresses or just blankets. They have broken down appliances, but didn't seem to care. The one grandson wants to move to a "big city". He had a lot of questions for us, and we had just as many for him.

I want to share my experiences in pictures, and telling anyone who will listen about my experiences. I also kept a journal, and after a few days to let this experience sink in, I want to write more in the journal. I think you can write what you see, feel and hear at the moment, but some times it takes a bit more time to really realize what you have experienced.

Jeanne Traylor
Division of Physical Therapy = Staff

No comments: