Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Home

HOME-this word came to mean many things over our trip. There were times where Shawnee exclaimed "We're Home!" Once when we reached the van from our caving experience and again when we reached Monkey Bay later that day. What makes up a home? The first definition of home given is "a house, apartment, or other shelter that is the usual residence of a person, family, or household." Our major place of residence on the trip was Monkey Bay (3 nights out of the 9). But Monkey Bay was not the only place we considered home on our trip.

Home came to mean the place where I was going to lay my head at night, where I ate dinner and could take a shower (a cold one, but a shower nonetheless). Home became relative, it didn't matter where it was. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Belize, but on day 10 I was ready to go "Home" to my dorm on campus at Shenandoah University (mainly because I had gotten sunburned finally and it hurt to move).

Now that I'm "home" I find myself missing Belize. I miss hanging out with Billy, Trinidad, Malito, Michelle and Matt. I miss Pine Ridge, my Mayan host family, the rich culture of the Creole and Garifunas. I even miss my group I traveled with! Belize feels like home in ways that I can't even explain. Being back at Shenandoah I realize that I became a different person in Belize. I became bolder, more daring, I got in better shape and I got better at interacting with people. I will carry the many memories and experiences I had with me for the rest of my life. Now when I think of Belize it is like my home away from home.

This is why I feel I am truly a global citizen now.

To all of The Kahuna Cliques guides and friends in Belize, I hope you are doing well and taking care.
To The Kahuna Clique, I hope everybody is transitioning well and I miss you guys!

Love,
Leah Hawkins

No comments: