Saturday, March 13, 2010

Global Citizen

What does being a global citizen really mean??? Visiting another country for the first time, I had no idea what to expect, what to feel, what to learn. But after the first day, after talking to the people of this land and culture, who soon became some of the many friends I've made down here, I felt "right at home." I realized that this feeling got stronger and stronger as the days went by. That's what a "Global Citizen" must feel wherever he is.
When arriving to Belize, I promised myself to hold no expectations and no limitations. By doing so, I felt that I have achieved the greatest experience possible. I have learned as much as I can, I have met some of the greatest people here, and I was able to be apart of such a great group, whom I have considered as a family during this amazing week. Even though it has just been one week, our departure tomarrow, rather than feeling like we're returning home, I am having that second-thought, nervous feeling that is commonly experienced right before leaving home. I feel that I have finally achieved the experience and role of a "Global Citizen."

-Nadir
(Biology/Pre-Med, Undergraduate)

No comments: