Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Reflections from Bolivia

Through all the amazing sites, food and adventures that we have all experienced, I been reflecting about the company that I have gone through this experience with. I know I could always eat this delicious food or see these views alone and enjoy them, however it has been infinitely more enjoyable with this group that has come to be another family to me.

While I could also go on and on for pages about how much I enjoy spending time with each of these 10 other individuals, I wanted to mention those who often go unmentioned. In this case, I will be talking about our tour guide Mariela. She has truly been our guardian angel this whole trip. Not only does she take us around to these unforgettable places with breathtaking views, but she helps us order our food and communicate with the locals, especially for those who have the Spanish language skills comparable to an 18-month old (aka me). While she goes above and beyond for us, she always does it with a smile on her face. She took us to get a snack on day 1, and ordered a sampler of sorts, which we did not know or remember the actual names for the dishes. Therefore, we decided to come up with our own names for things, most memorable "corn surprise." Instead of dismissing us as ignorant Americans as she probably should have, she laughed hysterically and complied with all of the jokes that ensued from it.

So not only has she been an angel and a guide, but has been a fantastic person to be around. I learned that she is also a physical therapist (which is what I am studying!) in addition to helping with these tours. She is clearly extremely passionate about her home country and has welcomed us with open arms and loves to let us experience her culture.

Going on trips like this, I want to remind everyone that when looking at your pictures, never forget those behind the camera and the people who helped you get to where you are. I wanted to pay tribute to an amazing woman, who without her we would still be staring blankly around at the airport, or wandering lost around Bolivia not knowing how to obtain food, and trying to find a nice person to take a group photo.

No comments: