Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hello all! It been a while since the last time I was on here, sorry I'm busy and forgetfull. Anywho, since last time I have been keeping busy and doing some traveling.
More below the fold..

I started my independent study on health care about 2 weeks ago. I have been meeting with the director of the best hospital in all of Africa. It is a non-profit hospital that has most of the latest equipment and is fairly well staffed. The director was sure to show me all the American equpiment that they have in the hospital. They are all very proud of their hospital, and rightfully so. The hospital is very much like the average American hospital, which made me relize how spoiled/lucky we are and how lacking health care is here. The director was espically proud that in this hopsital they have two doctors that are at the hopsital 24 hrs a day and they have a small nursing staff that is also there 24 hrs a day. He said that in most hospitals in Morocco after hours the housekeeping staff and lay people care for the patients! For that matter housekeeping and lay people usually care for the sick in most hospitals around the clock, and they have nurses and doctors that visit occasionally! I was pretty shocked!! I have met with the director twice and he is answering all my question I have. He also said he would be putting me in contact with the director of a public hospital and some clinics so that I can visit them as well. I'm looking foward to seeing the care that the majority of Moroccans have access to.
This past weekend was the first group trip. We traveled to Meknes, Fes, and Volubiis. Friday it was rainy and cold, but Meknes is a pretty cool city. We visited the Madrasa (Islamic school), several other religious places. We visited the old prision/dugon in the center of the city. The prison is a huge room underground with very little light and it was chilly down there. Pretty creepy all together. The country side between Meknes and Fez was beautiful (even with the rain.) In Fes we visited all the big attractions, a madrasa, the saint's shrine (the door, we couldnt go in), the different suqs (markets) and a palace. The afternoon we had free, I deided to explore the madina some more. It is very different from the medina of Rabat. It is much busier, larger and has lots of donkeys! On Sunday we went to Volubiis, which is a Roman ruin. It was beautiful. The rules and protection of the ruins were a bit lacking, which ment that we could walk in the ruins and touch (other than the mosaics) the ruins. It was quite the feeling to know that you were exactly in the same spot looking at the same things that people looked at and built thousands of years eariler.
Yesterday I started teaching English. It was an adventure. My class was a group if 17. All were male except one. They knew more english than I anticipated. It was interesting, and it went well over all I think. Its a challenge.
My classes are going well, I'm a bit slammed with work currently, its midterms!
Love and best wishes!

No comments: