Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Slowing down to keep up with the pace..

Finally... I made it to Jordan! I got here over a week ago, but it's taken me all this time to get a chance to tell you all about it. I was nervous and a little scared when I first arrived. I definitely am "not in Kansas anymore"! But I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised by the level of hospitality I've received. The day that I arrived I was greeted by the receptionist at the hostel who speaks limited English, but she tries her best and does fairly well. The room they gave me is great. It's like a studio apartment furnished completely with a kitchenette. Because it was lacking in a few important items (i.e. toilet paper, food, etc.), I asked where I could go to shop. She was unable to tell me so instead she called the market and someone walked up the hill to get me, walk me back down to the store, and upon seeing the amount of purchase, gave me ride back. I'm quite sure the local 7/11 back home would not have done the same! I was grateful for the courtesy and felt good about being off to such a nice start in such a faraway land.

Being that I am an English speaking Christian, and that many people here find religious preference to be a significant factor in commonality, I was introduced to a girl from Australia. She has been instrumental in my settling in. She has also become a dear friend. I was quite anxious for school to start, and then rather surprised to that my professor did not show up to the first two classes. I was told she'll be at the next class though. I am told that this is not uncommon for the first week of classes! I guess this is only fair since I missed one of my other classes. I showed up on time, but the class met earlier because we are in Ramadan. No worries. That's how it goes here and it's all good. It's just a difference pace around here.

You really do float like an air mattress in the Dead Sea!! You just lift your legs and BOING, BOING, BOING!!! I've met a lot of really nice people here, both from Jordan and all over the world. I am so grateful for this experience...an experience of a lifetime! Thanks Shenandoah!

1 comment:

Meagan said...

Yay Jennifer! I'm glad to hear you made it and I hope you're starting to get into the swing of things and are feeling settled!